I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Rusty Armor

From the Alchemical Renewed Tarot, the Knight of Vessels; from the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, "Adaptability:"
          This Knight strikes a pose as if walking down a fashion runway instead of in a stream. I have a feeling he combs his hair before going to bed (wearing his Tommy Hilfiger pajamas). Place explains that his entrance into the water symbolizes a desire to make sense of the emotions seeping up from his unconscious. I untangle my emotions with art, poetry, music and journaling; what looks like a sticky knot often loosens up under the waters of these activities.
          The card Adaptability parallels the last two I have drawn from this deck (Innovation and Versatility). Though obviously male, the figure reminds me of the Hindu goddess Kali standing on Shiva. The agile mind of Gemini meets the Moon's emotional need for security. I'm experiencing this with a person close to me - her mind and emotions are all over the place as she struggles to find solid ground and deal with reality. Sometimes what has worked before in such cases no longer provides any relief, and we must search for other alternatives. Continuing to stand in familiar streams will just rust our armor.  

4 comments:

  1. Love your interpretation of this pairing! Your description of the Knight had me chuckling and Madonna came to mind lol...

    Don't just stand there, let's get to it
    Strike a pose, there's nothing to it
    Vogue, vogue
    Vogue, vogue
    Let your body move to the music
    Ooh, you've got to just
    Let your body go with the flow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that he's a fan-boy of Madonna, lol.

      Delete
  2. I think it is healthy for everybody to walk in different streams now and then. For me Art isn't always effective while journaling is. You have adviced me some time ago to read some spiritual texts and I have discovered the Tao Te Ching. I can't imagine why I've never read this book before. Each verse is gem, a new stream to jump in.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good reminder for me that just because something is comfortable and familiar, doesn't mean it's necessarily useful.
      I'm happy that you're enjoying and getting something from the Tao te Ching!

      Delete