I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Restraining the Tongue

This morning's card from the Hoi Polloi is the Three of Swords:
Not many people have trouble understanding the heartache and sadness represented by this card.  The swords may symbolize thoughts that cause these feelings, or they might have to do with hurtful words spoken.  I will again be among a group of family members today, and this card reminds me to mind my tongue.  Members of the family always seem to know how to push my buttons - I find it harder to detach from their words and actions more than anyone else.  Frank Tyger once said, "There is no evidence the tongue is connected to the brain."  Reflecting on the many times I have spoken without thinking first, I'm inclined to agree with him.

     From the I Ching deck this morning comes the pair of trigrams known as "Mountain over Wind:"
With the sea and a skeleton of a boat in the background, a fisherman mends his nets.  The key phrases for this image are "repairing the damage" and "sweeping clean."  With the tarot card above, it seems amends are required for the actions or words that caused pain.  I may be in the shoes of the one giving or receiving; if I am the one who has been hurt, I can sweep clean my thoughts through forgiveness.  But if I am the one with a vendetta, I need to show restraint.  If I am careful not to tear the net to begin with, there will be nothing to repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment