I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Garden Sanctuary

From the Victorian Romantic Tarot, the Two of Cups; from the Flowers' Messages Oracle, "Evening Primrose:"
          Because this setting is in a garden, it makes me think of a dear friend from my Wednesday book club. We generally sit outside on the coffee shop's patio or on my back porch after our meetings and catch up with each other. Worries and woes are exchanged as well as much laughter. Like most of my cherished companions, we met by chance when our paths crossed. Mahony gives a quote from Carl Jung in the VR companion book that sums up well such valued relationships: "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." These transformative friendships are my garden sanctuaries.
          The oil of Evening Primrose has been touted to help with PMS and menopausal symptoms, joint pains and even the effects of alcohol withdrawal. No wonder the creators of this flower oracle have used it as a symbol of healing, particularly emotional healing. While I love my husband with all my heart, there are times when my women friends can better offer the solace and healing I seek. For all of you ladies, both near and abroad, I offer you a poem to express my gratitude:

Looking for warmth and refuge,
A trail of ladybugs
Moves slowly across the ceiling.
Spurred by the wet, wintry night,
They come seeking shelter.
During the storms of my life,
I find sanctuary with women.
They are ambassadors of compassion;
Their haven for the heart
I dare not take for granted.
 ~ B.K.

11 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have like minded friends living nearby. Although I do have some casual friends, my girls are momentarily the ones who understand me the best and although I hope to broaden my circle someday it still is hard to go out on my own and meet new people.
    The poem is beautiful and I count myself lucky to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are a part of my circle sanctuary. :) I actually only have a few close friends in my community, those with whom I'm willing to bare my soul. But I'm grateful for all, near and far!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Bev. There is nothing like the company of women friends, is there! Your poem says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. I can't imagine life without the company of compassionate women. :)

      Delete
  3. Female friends are such a boon, whether near or far! Seeing some friends in Spain made me miss them all the more. Still, I give thanks for the many friends I can connect with online, a blessing indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being willing to make the effort to connect (in whatever way is possible) is part of that blessing.

      Delete
  4. Although we may live on opposite sides of the planet, this is but physical distance. The soul knows now limits. You are one of the few true friends I trust implicitely and blessed to call you my Anam Cara. :) (((hugs))) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to write "the soul knows NO limits". :)

      Delete
    2. Trust is a rarely found gemstone these days, and I am grateful to have found such a lovely one in Oz. :) Anam cara does seem a fitting description of our long-lasting friendship!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful poem and post. I treasure my female friendships and would have been long lost without them. Thank you for the lovely poem Bev..

    ReplyDelete