I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Brain Freeze

From the Golden Tarot, the Eight of Swords; from the Yantra Deck, "Freedom:"
          Life can feel wintry and desolate when I feel overwhelmed by circumstances, just as I'm sure this lady is experiencing. When I feel beaten down with limited options, its easy to think that no one else has to deal with such pain and mental anguish. As soon as I've adopted such a mindset, the world does feel like a very cold place. My mind becomes so rigid in its beliefs, that I might as well be wearing a blindfold and have my hands tied. One of the truths I've learned about being in such a dark, desolate place is that isolation doesn't help. I need the warmth and support of other people. They don't have to magically fix anything; just having someone to listen and bounce ideas off of can help my brain thaw out. I'll eventually realize I have more alternatives than I previously thought.
          How did my mind become so restricted, my bowl of possibilities shrunk down to the size of a thimble? I'm sure some of those limitations came from what I was taught growing up - a load of "shoulds" I adopted. Perhaps the greatest contractions have come from the hard knocks of life. After I've accumulated a collection of bumps and bruises, it's easy to make assumptions and project that everything will be exactly like the past. Nothing will change; I should expect more of the same. The Freedom Yantra reminds me that even when I'm between a rock and a hard place, I don't have to let my mind work against me. There's no need to waste time screaming that life is unfair and shouldn't be this way. That's akin to stabbing myself in the heart when I already have an arrow in my chest. Instead, I can focus on how to best deal with that arrow.


7 comments:

  1. you "post today reminds me of:
    "Acceptance doesn't mean approving, giving up or detaching; it means recognizing things for what they are, no better but no worse either (..) it's to give you permission to stop fighting so much and show you the calm eye of the storm
    When ever you keep fighter the hold your ideas have over you gets tighter and stronger. When you let go the rope will fall on the ground
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Recognizing things for what they are, no better but no worse" - that really is a nugget of wisdom there. :) And I think you're right about struggling. It reminds me of Chinese handcuffs (those woven tubes that you put your pointer fingers in); the harder you pull, the tighter they become.
      I'm not surrounded by those swords, but I have several people I care about who are!

      Delete
    2. Somehow I feel we all have some swords around us :)

      Delete
    3. Definitely true. The difference is when I can recognize them for what they are. :)

      Delete
    4. luckily me too ... most of the time :)

      Delete
  2. These cards are such opposites! Glad to hear you're not too surrounded by swords, Bev. And I like the frosty landscape - it makes me think of the rune, Isa. Sometimes it's good to have a quiet space of self-restriction, to blossom out into freedom with greater clarity... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely show the two sides of the mind - one of constriction and one of spaciousness!

      Delete