I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, March 16, 2018

Two-Faced

From the Rosetta Tarot, the Five of Cups; from the Ascension to Paradise deck, the 'Honeyguide:'
          The five cups are cracked, the vines are flowerless and brown, and there is no water in sight. No wonder the Thoth keyword for this card is 'disappointment.' The cups are in a downward-pointing pentagram arrangement. The pentagram can symbolize humans (think of yoga's Five-pointed Star), but in this case, it is upside down. Emotionally, things have turned us on our heads. We can react by going into a rage, burying our heads in the sand, or by grieving our loss and learning from it. The Honeyguide is a bird with a dark side. In a positive light, it leads people to wild honey sources (as this bird enjoys eating the wax comb). But it is also a brutal brood parasite; hatched in another specie's nest, it kills its nest mates soon after it hatches. We humans also are a mix of both positive attributes and negative patterns of behavior (which invariably leads to the Five of Cups). Seeing our part in things - even if it is only the type of people or situations we are drawn to - can help us replace old habits with more beneficial ones.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, the dark and the light. Will people face disappointment when they see me in my entirety? Will I be disappointed in myself when I recognise my own negative patterns? How can I find the honey in situations where I feel turned on my own head? Some tough questions from this pairing!
    I like your comment about seeing our own part in things. I worked on that yesterday a lot! How some of my negative patterns were impacting my husband, and led to him doing something I found really hurtful. It was painful, but created a huge shift and, after a while, hopefully a new balance between us and better habits moving forward...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The focus of 'looking for my part' is something I learned in recovery. It definitely doesn't come natural for me, especially when I feel like I've been hurt or taken advantage of! But changing my focus keeps me out of resentment (which isn't useful) and opens me to what I might change that can keep me out of a similar situation in the future. As you said, it can create huge shifts! :)

      Delete