I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sacrifice of Self

From the Tarot of the Master, the Five of Chalices:
A leaf, a flower, a fruit, or even
Water, offered to me in devotion,
I will accept as the loving gift
Of a dedicated heart. Whatever you do,
Make it an offering to me –
The food you eat or worship you perform,
The help you give, even your suffering.
~ Bhagavad Gita
This deck's interpretation of the Five of Cups is different from the RWS tradition. The banner in the background reads ad gloriam dei, or "for the glory of the Lord." I do get a sense of giving up something, but it is a gift willingly rather than begrudgingly given. Yes, it is a sacrifice of sorts, but it is the kind that will ultimately bring joy. When I feel lonely, sad, or some other emotion that makes me uncomfortable, I often try to distract myself by buying, eating or experiencing something that will give me a rush. This tactic works briefly, but then I'm left with the same emotion (and often added guilt). But if my focus is not self-centered and I give compassionately, I wind up with a full heart instead of an empty one.

The geomantic figure created today is "Laetitia:"
Laetitia means "joy," a feeling that is larger and longer-lasting than pleasure. Like these butterflies, there is a perception of lightness and the ability to not be weighed down by life's circumstances. Laetitia is ruled by Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system with a mass greater than all the other planets combined. It represents expansion and includes me moving outside my tiny world of total self-concern.

2 comments:

  1. It is often so tempting to comfort ourselves with short time rushes. it is a frequent pitfall of me. I have said it before: the more you give love and compassion, the more you seem to have it because you cannot give away what you don't have. The difficulty is to give it willingly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - if I don't do it willingly, I'll just end up with a resentment on top of all my other emotions!

      Delete