I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Adding a Suit

From the Tarot of Durer, the Queen of Swords; from the Philosopher's Stone, "Complement:"
All of the queens have the ability to nurture and encourage according to their suit. The Queen of Cups lets me know when I'm not being kind (to myself or others). The Queen of Pentacles reminds me when I'm being impractical. The Queen of Wands will push me to be more assertive when I'm too passive. And the Queen of Swords points out when I've given false thoughts free rent in my head. When I am spiraling out of control, I imagine she would tell me to play detective and ask myself questions similar to these from J.C. Peters:
  • What thought is contributing to this feeling?
  • What evidence do I have that this thought is true?
  • What else could be going on?
  • What evidence do I have for those alternatives?
The pieces of boulder on the Philosopher's Stone card is similar to a jigsaw puzzle; they fit together nicely. In considering the four queens above, they also complement and balance each other out. It made me stop and think if the friends I have (people I look to for advice) could be sorted this way. If not, I might benefit by adding in the missing suit.

4 comments:

  1. It was such a revelation to me to learn that every feeling is preceded by a thought. So retracing you thoughts will explain why you feel a certain way. In theory it couldn't be more simple :D
    By the way count me in for the suit of Swords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even more of a revelation for me that just because it "feels" true (as with being anxious about something) doesn't necessarily mean it is! :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I like those questions, too. And an interesting thought to consider who your friends are and how balanced a perspective they give you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely need some who can honestly tell me when I'm full of it as well as those who can encourage me too! :)

      Delete