I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 26, 2014

He's Not All Bad

From the Shining Tribe Tarot, the Emperor; from the Animal Tiles, the "Spider:"
       I'm leaving shortly for a road trip (to visit my mom), so when I saw the Emperor I thought of how heavy my foot can get on the gas pedal when I'm rolling down the highway. If I don't want a speeding ticket, I need to be aware of how fast I'm going instead of getting caught up in the songs I'm singing along with. But then I noticed the bull on the card, and the phrase "bull in a china shop" popped into my head. The stag-like Emperor is blocking the way so this beast can't cause destruction in his city. I grew up during a time when people my age said things like, "Question authority!" Now that I'm older, I still think we need to keep an eye on those who govern us. Yet at the same time, I see the need for such a protective structure that keeps lawlessness and disorder at bay.
       Though their web designs vary, most spiders have a pattern of sorts when they spin their web. If they only spun one long strand from one tree to another, it is doubtful they would ever catch a meal. The sticky structures they create are formed with the intention of catching insects, so instinctive guidelines in weaving keeps them from starving. Spider reminds me that rules and regulations aren't just to keep me from doing things, they also help me do other things in a better way.

6 comments:

  1. As you say, it's good to question authority, just perhaps not without reason. Like there's no particular reason why the speed limit should be 20 rather than 15, but it is good to have a speed limit to reduce road deaths… Hope you have a lovely trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning as I age that it's pretty nutty to rebel for the sake of rebelling, but admirable to be a rebel with a worthy cause! :D

      Delete
  2. I hope you will have a lovely time with you mother and enjoy the time out of your daily routine
    I used to have two different kind of music in my car. One for in the city and on for on the highway (hard rock) :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful visit, thank you. :) And I was "rocking" along the highways lined with cotton fields!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a wonderful time Bev. You are so fortunate and blessed to still have you mum.

    Some folks have a spider phobia. I have a phobia for some bugs, but not spiders. I took a photo this Spring of an old dying tree that was absolutely full of incredibly beautiful spider web. They were adorned with beads of water that looked like jewels.

    " Spider reminds me that rules and regulations aren't just to keep me from doing things, they also help me do other things in a better way." I like that! I was always one to have authority issues but have calmed down with age. But being a questioning individual is still a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to still have my mom, who is a very kind and optimistic person. :) I bet that spider web photo was awesome!

      Delete