I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Keep Plodding Along

From the Tarot of Durer, the Chariot; from the Philosopher's Stone, "Depth:"
A man on his way to sell his goods at the market is slowed down by his wife's chatter. She's not worried about time constraints or what he might get in trade, she's focused on him attending to the gossip while he's in town. The Latin phrase associated with the Durer Chariot is "Those who are everywhere are nowhere." Unlike the rat on the tree limb who grabs her food and takes it immediately to her den, this man is distracted from his task. Likewise, my mind can easily be led astray. I can't count how many times I've sat down to "quickly" check my email, then found myself still in front of the glowing monitor an hour or two later. I need self-discipline to stay on course.
The Depth card shows the stone man with a large boulder and a much smaller rock in front of him. No matter what we are trying to accomplish, there will always be challenges to face along the way. But sometimes I get caught up in things that are in the past (and need to stay there) or situations that are none of my business. Before I get sidetracked from my task, I need to see the depth of what has caught my attention. How important is it, really? Of course some of these will be responsibilities I need to deal with, but if it's just a little mud puddle, I need to keep plodding along.

5 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this. Getting distracted by everything and nothing at the same time. Although I wish I would be more focused I have to admit I do like the idea's I get by roaming the internet
    And I even found you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm very happy our paths did cross! :)
      If I could just set aside some times for creative thinking and wandering and set aside time for staying on task, I think I would be more productive. But those two cross over more times than I'd like!

      Delete
  2. Ha, the "I'll just check my email" thing gets me a lot, too! Though I don't like the Durer derogatory female gossip thing. Making social connections is important, also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gossip thing was not from the Durer booklet but my head. I started to write something different, like "Honey, can you stop by the vet and get the meds for the cats? And would you mind dropping off the overdue books at the library? And can you check and see if that movie we wanted to watch is out? And..." As you can see, that one got a little long-winded, lol!

      Delete