I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, October 6, 2014

Pause and Set Aside

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Knight of Staves; from the Wisdom of the Four Winds, "Tuatara:"
This jester-knight doesn't ride on a grand steed but on a donkey. The smile on his face suggests he's headed for a new adventure. But in his excitement, he seems to have forgotten a few things, like a bridle or halter to guide the donkey in the right direction. And I don't see any kind of saddle bag that might include food, water or a blanket for sleeping on. He might have enthusiasm to spare, but preparation is obviously not one of his strong suits. If I don't have the basic resources and at least a loosely based plan, I doubt I'm going to arrive where I want to go.
Tuatara is the Protector who guards the ancient wisdom and sees what is unseen. I see him as a sort of scaly high priestess, though Brailsford describes him as a gatekeeper. Tuatara's message is to leave "aside those things that are of the old ego" and open ourselves to our inner horizons. Pausing for such contemplation instead of galloping along will cause me to reflect on some questions first. What is my motive, my purpose for doing this? Will it be of benefit in the long run, or is it just a distraction for what I really need to be focused on? I might find I need to turn that donkey in a new direction.

4 comments:

  1. That knight does look more like a page to me:D I wish I could find my pause button more easily. You would think that at my age I would be more thoughtful of the effects of my actions and words. But no, often it is still full steam ahead without consideration of others.
    Refection, pausing, balance, letting go..... OMG I still have so much to learn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know these things - having written and read about them for years now - but practicing them is a whole different thing! :)

      Delete
  2. While that Knight of Staves is so rarely prepared, today, paired with Tuatara he makes me think of the saying: "Consider the Lilies in the field…" Perhaps he will do better than you think, just being open to what the universe sends his way! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point; he may be (as we say here) able to "make his own luck." :)

      Delete