I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 28, 2014

Offside Penalty

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Five of Swords; from the Sabian Symbols "Gemini 9:"
       I have a bad habit of wanting to correct information that I know is wrong, especially if someone is presenting it as the truth. It's worse if there is a group involved, because I fear other people are being misinformed. But sometimes there's a fine line between presenting facts and whacking someone over the head with them. The other person with the alternate view may respond by not wanting to discuss but debate. And if it becomes a debate, then there is only a win-lose option; one speaker is going to get hurt or be left with resentment.
       The visual for Gemini 9 is: A medieval archer stands with the ease of one wholly sure of himself, bow in hand, his quiver filled with arrows. From this symbol I get the impression one should be alert, prepared and full of confidence. But there is a subtle detail that is important - the archer stands at ready but isn't shooting any arrows yet. In American football, there is a penalty called a "false start" in which the offense tries to draw the opponent offside by making a quick movement. In the same way, I get the feeling that this Sabian Symbol is warning me not to take the bait. If a battle of wits erupts, it could quickly turn into a lose-lose situation. I also need to ask myself, "How important is this, really?"

7 comments:

  1. We should chose our battles wisely. It gets easier over the years for me. I remember when I was in my late teens and early twenties I was radical, had black and white opinions, went to all kinds of demonstrations and knew for sure we would change the world
    Nowadays I am happy and content if I can help solve our own family problems and I try to stay a way as much as possible from large scale conflicts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember sometimes people are very comfortable with their own version of things, so even if I present them with evidence they aren't going to care. And then my contentment goes right out the window, lol.

      Delete
  2. I've always worried about those small quivers. 8 days hard riding to battle, and 8 minutes worth of ammo. That's my brain anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Lynda Hill's book, she says these archers could shoot 15 arrows per minute. Surely they had a knave with a quiver refill standing nearby!

      Delete
  3. I've definitely gotten better at holding my tongue over the years… but it still doesn't come naturally to my Gemini soul :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm better than I used to be too, but when people make sweeping generalized statements about people (all "___" are "___") my tongue won't be tamed, lol!

      Delete
    2. Can't blame you, there. Fundamentalism often gets my goat, too!

      Delete