I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Good-looking Goat

This week I'll be using the Nigel Jackson Tarot, created by Jackson and published by Llewellyn. I'll also be exploring the Sabian Symbols with the help of Lynda Hill's book 360 Degrees of Wisdom, published by Plume. I've got a 30 sided die and an astrological die that I'll be rolling to choose the symbol. Today's draw and roll are the Devil and "Cancer 21:"
       I don't think it was by accident that the Devil comes after Temperance in the order of tarot cards. What makes us move off the middle path and choose an extreme at one end of the spectrum? Overwhelming anxiety, boxed-up grief, angry frustration or smug arrogance can blind us to other avenues or perspectives. The two disciples in this image have no faces, suggesting they've lost their souls, but not in a biblical sort of way. They have abdicated their free will over to something or someone else. Yet that easier way does not have their best interests at heart. What seemed like a softer way out will eventually become an even heavier burden.
       The visual associated with Cancer 21 is: A prima donna singing. As used in opera, prima donna ("first lady" in Italian) was the lead female singer. I was treated by a friend to my first opera experience last year, and I was stunned by the vocal power and magnetism of the singers. This Sabian Symbol implies that I need to speak up and be heard. I should not allow my needs or obligations to be drowned out by other people, situations or a victim mentality. Otherwise, I might find that old goat is beginning to look mighty alluring.


2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of the Sabian Symbols before. Sounds complicated, but I like the visual and key phrase :) Interesting, I so often think of addiction with the Devil, but victim mentality is another really good interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sabian Symbols have a visual assigned to each degree in the zodiac (30 for each sun sign). You can try Lynda's oracle page for them here:
    http://sabiansymbols.net/oracle/

    ReplyDelete