I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, November 14, 2014

Scenic Drives

From the Albano-Waite Tarot, the Lovers; from the Rumi Cards, "moon kisses:"
       Instead of thinking of love when I saw this card, I thought about choice. The man looks at the woman, who focuses on the angel, who looks down on both. Most RWS interpretations speak of an equal partnership between people, but today this feels different. The partnership is in the way I balance the sacred and mundane. No matter how spiritual I'd like to be, I still have to take care of the basics in the real world. Yet the angel seems to say that both of these parts of life are holy and woven together; neither one is better than the other.
       The Rumi card reminds me that what I love is what I give my attention to and what I spend time doing. Whether dealing with the sacred or mundane, am I mindful or mindless? Churning out thoughts doesn't mean I'm consciously aware of what I'm doing. The New Yorker had a cartoon that illustrates how most of us (including myself!) go through our days:
Meditation teacher Tara Brach says that 98% of our thoughts are a repetition from the days before. Tedious indeed! If I want to connect on a deep level instead of a surface one, I need to try and choose awareness instead of thinking, "as soon as I get through this, I can go do..." Love is a verb and requires that I drive through life wide awake no matter what the scenery looks like.
 

3 comments:

  1. This morning I read somewhere that Love is the ingredient that can change something ordinary into a miracle.
    So if we can't do what we love than let's love what we do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels like we're back to "chop wood, carry water" :) Such a simple notion and yet so hard to do. Today, I got totally distracted by the baby crying and fussing, yet other times I don't even have that excuse. Hope you managed to take your restless mind a little, Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick for me is to combine the two if I can; of course that means I have to stay in the present moment. :)

      Delete