I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Digging Holes

From the Tarot of the Absurd, the Five of Coins:
A distraught woman digs in an empty change purse.  She wears the shoes of the clown while he wears her high heels, making me think of the saying "borrowing from Peter to pay Paul."  Unfortunately (as the shovels indicate), this kind of solution only digs a deeper hole.  And though this card is about coins, it's not always about money.  Nights that I stay up too late, mornings that I skip breakfast, and days when I think I'm too busy to fit in exercise or meditation will eventually catch up with me.  Time to make some hard decisions about what is truly important, because I really don't look good in clown shoes...

From the Post-psychedelic Cyberpunk comes the "Glass Orb:"
Have you ever looked inside a snow globe, transfixed by what is inside?  The Glass Orb represents those times when I become so caught up in believing my perceptions, thinking all my assumptions are true, that I become oblivious to reality.  My view becomes so narrow and distorted, I don't even see how small it has shrunk.  This is precisely why I need friends who will be honest enough with me to tell me how deep I'm digging that hole that I'm standing in, and how inflexible my thinking has become.  They won't hesitate to break the snow globe that I've become fixated on.
 


4 comments:

  1. Or maybe it is a crystal ball showing the mystery of possibility and looking at the deeper meaning. And remember orbs are an indication that spirits are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawing on the meaning the artist/creator of the deck gave. :) But there could be other possibilities!

      Delete
  2. i really love your take on that 5 of coins. Very relevant for me as well, in non-monetary ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very relevant in a non-monetary way for me as well. :) This deck really kicks my brain into gear with its artwork!

      Delete