I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Taking Care of the Basics

From the Prairie Tarot, the Ace of Pentacles:

The physicality and groundedness of this Ace is shown in the majestic mountains, along with the evergreen trees below.  My friend Jema drew this card the other day and commented on her blog that "we must see to our basic needs first, before setting out to ascend anything," and I heartily agree.  Whether I seek enlightenment or a chance to make a small difference in the world, it is important to make my essential needs a priority.  But just writing that statement makes me feel selfish and self-centered...  Since when did it become "spiritually correct" to ignore your own needs while taking care of others?  Do you get some kind of brownie points for this?

From the Medicine Cards today comes "Moose:"
With his huge rack of antlers that could pass as small trees and his oddly shaped body, Moose may seem like a real pushover in the animal kingdom.  But his awkwardness is not what it appears - he is powerful and agile, easily defending himself and his territory.  This time of year, the male grunts and bellows loudly to attract a mate, having no timidity about advertising himself as a prime candidate.  His call reminds me that it is okay to tell myself I've done a good job; everyone needs a pat on the back even if you're the one that has to do it.  So today I'll give myself a nod for sticking with my daily exercise and healthy eating habits.  It does require making them a priority, and besides, I'm the only one who can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment