I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wishing on Stars

From the Tarot of the Absurd, the Seven of Cups:
Seeing the dragons sipping tea underneath the stars made me think of the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" and the children's verse, "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight; I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight."  Sevens are about making choices - what will fulfill me and bring me lasting joy rather than temporary pleasure?  I remember taking a career development test that was supposed to tell me what sort of jobs I would enjoy and do well (I seem to remember "farmer" was there along with "psychologist," neither of which I became).  It seems a huge responsibility to make choices, because I have to live with the consequences.  But the flip side would be to allow someone to tell me what to do, and I can't imagine being happy with that.  The bottom line is that no test, supernatural deity, or magical dragon is going to grant my wishes.  I'm just going to have to make an educated choice then put forth the effort to reach the star I'm aiming for.

From the Post-pychedelic Cyberpunk deck comes "the Shaman:"
Falkov describes the Shaman as someone who specializes in looking at "the underside of the world and his mind" and who is capable of "pushing through not just his own fears, but helping others overcome theirs."  I have so many resources available to me if I need them - doctors, therapists, and friends on the spiritual path.  They can share their tools with me so I can overcome challenges and meet my goals.  But I will be the one who must use the nails and hammer - no one can do it for me. 


1 comment:

  1. There be dragons. To get our attention, but if they come we need to be clear on our intent. My dragons are kind of confused right now. But we will work it out. Get a bigger hammer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete