I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Many Beads, One Thread

From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Lovers; from the Rune Cards, "Tir/Tiwaz:"
          Rather than simply an urge for union, Vey seems to imply a sort of cosmic connection with her Lovers card. Though appearing to be opposites (like the sun and moon), there is a spiritual link that runs through everything, like a silk strand that holds together a string of various shaped and colored beads. What I think of as an individual "self" is actually just an idea with a bunch of labels attached. As Thich Nhat Hanh explains, "There’s no separation between self and other, and everything is interconnected. [This understanding] brings you insight. You know that your happiness and suffering depend on the happiness and suffering of others."
          The verse for Tir/Tiwaz in the Anglo-Saxon rune poem reads:
Tiw is a guiding star; well does it keep faith with princes;
it is ever on its course over the mists of night and never fails.
Tiw (or Tyr) is the one-handed Norse god of courage, sacrifice and regulation. The rune of Tir/Tiwaz therefore represents law and order. But rather than a type of justice doled out differently (depending on who you are), it is applied fairly to all. The moral guidance provided has an even, ethical foundation; it doesn't benefit one group but all. Both these cards together encourage me to remember my interconnection with others. Instead of judging them by what I see and hear on the outside, I should attempt to focus on the inner thread that unites us.

2 comments:

  1. The more I see of this tarot deck, the less I like it. That Lovers card might work for me without the beings at the top, just as cosmic connection. Also don't like the way the keyword seems to exclude the aspect of choice in this card. Though I guess you could choose whether or not to connect. Today, with this card, I choose not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, it is a dated deck (published in 2003 I think). Some of the cards make me laugh, they're so hokey.

      Delete