I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Careful Focus

From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Six of Cups; from the Rune Cards, "Yr:"
          I'm guessing these two people watching the sunset are siblings. Vey writes that this card can represent "simple pleasures that will be remembered in your fondest memories." I'm glad she didn't specify childhood memories (not much joy to be found there for me). Yet I have a storehouse full of fond memories with friends - talks, meals, laughter, and adventures shared. These remembered pleasures can be a soothing salve for a troubled mind.
          The Yr poem reads:
Yr is a source of joy and honor to every prince and knight; 
it looks well on a horse 
and is a reliable 
equipment for a journey.
While some folks believe this rune indicates a bow, others interpret it as an ax hammer. Regardless, it is a tool that could be used in a variety of ways - for sport, protection or provisions. Such a tool, whether a weapon or some other implement, needs to be used with careful focus. Which brings me back to the tarot card for today. How do I use my memories? Do I focus only on the stories of cruelty or do I include the ones of kindness too? My past does include joyful times, but I have to consciously turn my mind from those other stories in order to recollect them.

5 comments:

  1. "These remembered pleasures can be a soothing salve" My husband and I often dig up memories of our past together. When our children were little, our vacations abroad etc. They make us happy and why should we dwell on the problems we've had just as every couple or the sadness which is always lurking around waiting to pounce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dwelling on the sad, painful memories just makes me feel more alone, while remembering happy moments can make me feel a connection to others. I see no purpose in dredging up the awful stuff and rehashing it over and over. I know some people will say it's useful so past mistakes won't be repeated, but lessons learned don't need a constant retelling of the story.

      Delete
    2. Amen to that!
      Sometimes it is good to know where today's feelings are coming form but knowing is definitely not the same a reliving

      Delete
  2. I like that, the choice to focus on happy memories. And perhaps that axe can be used to cut away the memories that would cut and intrude on the feeling of connection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be pretty common to focus on what was bad instead of what was good. I can do that even on a daily basis. I remember after telling a friend about something that happened, she looked at me and said, "So you took a bad 15 minutes and stretched it into a whole day." Gotta love those friends who'll give it to you straight. :)

      Delete