I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Tolerance for Pain

From the Ferret Tarot, the Three of Swords; from the Nature's Wisdom Oracle, "Feathers:"
          In my early morning, pre-coffee haze, I thought this was a bird pooping on this poor ferret's head. Of course in a way it is; betrayal and loss feels very personal. In this mindset, it's easy to get obsessed with the "why me" questions and never consider the other person's viewpoint. I can get completely caught up in how badly you hurt me without me giving a thought to what I might have done to set the ball rolling. The Feathers card parallels the winged heart; both are a symbol of air and thoughts. Those thoughts left to run amok can do more harm than good, because they are often far from reality. Instead, I think I'll try to remember the wisdom of Jack Kornfield:
Everybody has their own burden. Everybody has their own measure of sorrow. Relatively speaking, some might carry an enormous burden, but everybody has a fair measure. It’s just part of the human condition. 
We don’t trust that our heart has the capacity to open to the sorrows as well as the beauty of the world... One of the great Buddhist teachings—it’s a type of medicine, you might say—is to remind ourselves, and others, that we all have a great capacity of heart. We have within us buddhanature, the capacity to hold all the sorrows and joys of the world. An aspect of our great openness is our ability to tolerate suffering. 


9 comments:

  1. A great quote but for me a too big a step, I am glad I am able to heal my own heart. I know it is perhaps selfish but for now it is a way of surviving.
    I do think "soaring" flying high can make you aware of the bigger picture and that "this too will pass"
    Ps I saw the same bird :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you well enough to see that your heart already holds a full measure of joy and sorrow my friend. It doesn't mean we have to "deal" with it (as in get rid of it or fix it), but just allow it the space to be there. (((Ellen)))
      Glad to know my first impression of the "bird" was also yours, lol.

      Delete
  2. and sometimes the unthinkable is true. Accepting that tears the heart and mind but is the only way to move through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely; the only way to really deal with it is to make space for it. You are my heroine in this respect.

      Delete
  3. Ah, if only our heartaches and sorrows were feather-light...flies in the face of what it is to be human...still, somedays that's the fantasy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet I think it is the one human commonality that brings us together more than anything else.

      Delete
  4. One thing I learned, is that when humans experience deep suffering we can decide to respond or react in one of two ways. We either become bitter and let bitter root grow and poison all aspect of our lives, especially in all our relationships, or we become more compassionate. I'm glad I chose the later.
    Great post Bev!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat; I think when we realize that we all feel the same depths of sorrow and pain, it can't help but open our hearts wider.

      Delete
    2. Definitely Bev. It can be hard to realize we have that bitterness, but once we do that changes everything in the heart. That's sure been my own experience.

      Delete