I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 18, 2016

In the Thicket

From the Legacy of the Divine Tarot, the Ten of Wands; from the Tea Leaf Reading Cards, Fish:
          This man has landed himself in a thicket of briers with a heavy load on his back. There have been several occasions when I found myself in such a place:
     ~ My enthusiasm led me to take on more than I could reasonably handle.
     ~ My desire to please let my mouth say 'yes' when my brain was shouting 'no.'
     ~ I saw things that needed to be done that no one else offered to do.
     ~ I wanted things done 'right,' so I decided to do them myself.
When I'm struggling through my own patch of briers, it's easy to blame others for the struggles I'm going through. Looking back, however, it's easy to see the responsibility firmly rested on my shoulders. Now I try to pause before diving in and ask: Is doing this realistic? Am I being honest? Have I actually asked for help? Am I being a perfectionist? The Fish card shows up with a meaning of prosperity and abundance. Isn't that what often drives us to take on more than we can handle? Maybe not just from a financial standpoint, but also because we want people to like and think well of us? I need to be truthful and ask myself if all the stress and effort is worth the result. If it is, then I can take on the mentality of another fish - the salmon - and persevere in my endeavor.

4 comments:

  1. I along with you and countless others have found myself in that briar patch. I used to blame others and now I realize I swam right into that catchers net again, asked myself why and what am I supposed to learn from this repeating lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once we start asking those questions, we can stop repeating the behavior. :)

      Delete
  2. I think this is the second or third card I pulled from this deck, something about it ticked me off, and I gave it away. My reaction to briars is Round Up. That is probably why we parted company so quickly.

    Kind of funny, I don't have any Magic Realist or Ciro decks. And they are so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all of Ciro's decks originally, but have given them all away except this one. It's the Ten of Cups card that makes me keep it. :) Did you know that "briers" was used as a slur for Appalachian people who moved north and west looking for jobs? My trivia learned for today. :D

      Delete