I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, December 8, 2017

Expansion vs. Contraction

From the Hoi Polloi Tarot, the Ace of Wands; from the I Ching Pack, 'Wind over Lake:'
          Wow, would you look at all the leaves on that wand - inspiration to create and solutions for problems galore. I might feel that way after two pots of coffee; it's been a long night of cleaning up after two elderly cats. My wand of potential feels like it is microscopic in size this morning. I simply can't see any possibilities because I've been solely focused on the problem at hand. I need a wand upgrade. The sixty-first hexagram has been given the key phrase 'serenity within,' and it suggests a gentle wind blowing across the water. The translation by Richard Wilhelm notes that it: "consists of firm lines above and below, while it is open in the center. This indicates a heart free of prejudices and therefore open to truth." The truth isn't always rainbows and unicorns unfortunately. Sometimes it's cat poop and barf. And as Larry Rosenberg reminds me, "You eliminate an enormous amount of suffering by concentrating on the suffering that is actually present instead of creating more with your thinking." Time to expand my mind and my focus.


10 comments:

  1. I like that, a wand upgrade, we can all use that from time to time.
    "The wand chooses the wizard Mr. Potter. It's not always clear why." - Ollivander, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The wand chooses..." Maybe there's a lesson I need to know about the wand I hold.

      Delete
  2. I was just looking at wands in the shop that must not be named in York shambles yesterday! Next time I visit I’ll fetch you an upgrade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a couple. I’ve heard there might be one not far from you in North Carolina...

      https://alivans.com/product-category/wands/classic-collection-wands/

      Delete
    2. I'd probably use mine to prod people rather than for magic. Of course if prodding actually worked, that might be considered magical...
      😊

      Delete
  3. Yes, the suffering you create rather than the suffering that's actual--very good point.

    Ah, elderly cats! My cat, who is 17.5 years old, likes to lift up when she is peeing in the box. I have to buy puppy widdle pads and tape them around the walls to protect them. Every day I am scooping and changing pads. She's a good friend though--what we do for our friends, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that I too will get sick and elderly; I will need help one day. Helps my mind turn toward patience.

      Delete
  4. I'm bringing my kittens by the way, have family will travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my two will be on their best behavior, but I wouldn't count on it!

      Delete