I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Softening the Heart

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Hidden Realm, created by Julia Jeffrey with Barbara Moore, and published by Llewellyn. I'll also be drawing from the Heart of Faerie Oracle created by Brian and Wendy Froud  and published by Abrams. Today's cards are the the Ace of Cups and 'Lady of the Unicorns:'
          Jeffrey has chosen an otter in mid-play to represent the Ace of Cups, a card that can represent a tug of the heart, love and relationship. Otters seem to engage in activities for the sheer enjoyment of them, such as making slides down into the water and playing with rocks. I've seen people of various races, religions and social backgrounds work together in times of disaster. What it would be like to put down all our labels and dogmas and simply have a day devoted to fun? I imagine we would look out at everyone amidst the laughter and experience that tender tug of the heart. This faerie is the guardian of unicorns, a symbol of purity, grace and love. The unicorn's horn was supposed to be able to restore poisoned water and heal those who were sick. The animal has been used in heraldry, usually shown unbound to emphasize the idea of liberty and independence. My beliefs can support and sustain me, or they can bind me to rigid ideas that leave little room for compassion and joy. Perhaps its time to leave those uncompromising beliefs at the river bank and let them soften up.

2 comments:

  1. I love to watch Otters, mostly viewed on PBS. They live in the moment and that is a great lesson for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have river otters here, but they're pretty shy around people.

      Delete