I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 25, 2018

No Remedy

From the Norse Tarot, Death; from the Wolf Pack, 'Judgment:'
          The Norse Tarot card shows the death of Baldur, the much-beloved son of Odin and Frigg. When Baldur began having dreams foretelling his death, Frigg secured oaths from things that could be fashioned into a weapon and asked that they would cause no harm to her son. The other gods had a good time throwing things at Baldur and watching them bounce right off. But the trickster Loki found out that Frigg had overlooked mistletoe, thinking it too small to cause any harm. He magically made a spear from the plant and gave it to another god to throw, which killed Baldur. This story brilliantly illustrates impermanence; it affects all no matter what we do to escape it. The Judgment card brings to mind comments often heard after a loss, whether a person, job or relationship: "He never got enough exercise." "She was warned not to look for a husband outside the church if she wanted a marriage that lasted." "He can't keep a job because he doesn't have a college degree." It's as if coming up with a reason can act as some kind of magical protection to keep endings from happening to us. Yet as David Whyte writes, "Our real unconscious and underlying wish is to find a cure for the impermanence of life, and for that there is no remedy."

2 comments:

  1. My top whines. I never had a mentor. I never went to college. Watching myself post whines over the years finally broke me of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that side of myself in the mirror of my blog has the same effect on me.

      Delete