I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 10, 2018

What Sticks

From the Everyday Enchantment Tarot, the Hierophant; from the MentorSpirit Cards, 'Determination:'

          An older teacher sits in front of his pupils teaching a class on world religions and philosophies. The students listen raptly, not only because he is engaging, but because they are encouraged to ask questions and raise doubts. He knows this interaction will get the students involved in their own education; being a participant will help the information stick. The teacher takes his job seriously, because he realizes how these young minds are shaped will determine what kind of community this generation will later create. Determination suggests the willingness to apply such knowledge. Most people, when they are learning or attempting something new, have a fair amount of determination. We resolve to accomplish a goal or make a change with enthusiasm. But like the teacher's lessons, what will make determination stick? The realization of two things:

He that can have patience can have what he will. 
Benjamin Franklin
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. 
Beverly Sills

8 comments:

  1. I still remember teachers like this one. They have had a major influence on me and probably still have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently had lunch with my sixth grade teacher (a favorite). I remember her most for reading books to us every day after our lunch period.

      Delete
    2. Never underestimate the power of reading to children. It's such a shame parents often stop doing this when children have learned to read for themselves

      Delete
    3. I agree! I think it is one reason why I love to read so much today.

      Delete
  2. Oh how nice it would have been to have teachers such as this Hierophant. I had only one teacher that came close to opening the world to me, but it was too late. All that rote and memorization had me ready to leave the halls of education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many teachers just teach for the paycheck, not because they enjoy what they do and like working with kids. Those kind are few and far beween.

      Delete
  3. This Hierophant reminds me of a history teacher I had from 16-18. He had such a passion for his subject, he lived it and breathed it, he explored the lessons it had for us now. Inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those passionate teachers are the ones who inspire others to careers in that field. :) They definitely make classes more interesting!

      Delete