I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 15, 2019

In the Looking

This week I'll be using the Tarot de St. Croix, created and self-published by Lisa de St. Croix. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Archetype Cards, created by Caroline Myss and published by Hay House. Today's cards are Death and God:

I can recall that even as a small child I had allergic reactions to certain forms of reality.
"Distilled Spirits," AA Grapevine, December 1997

          Humans are biologically wired to look for stability and security in order to survive. We don't particularly like change (unless it's pleasant) and we fear anything that upends our life. Like the quote above, we seem to have an allergy to the impermanent nature of reality. When there are endings, we struggle to accept and adapt. Yet the dancing skeleton seems to have realized that there is the potential for good even in the midst of having what we were attached to ripped from our grasp. The God archetype represents a power that aids us and protects us when we feel powerless. In a physical world constantly in flux, is there any surprise that so many gods have been created by mankind? It is normal to want to feel grounded when we feel lost and in limbo. Perhaps for some, God might simply mean being willing to look beyond our ego's preferences, seeing for the first time the wonders and benevolence in our world that we've overlooked.

God is not findable for me. Not like car keys. Maybe God is that which can’t be found. That’s okay, because God is in the looking. —Susan Moon

5 comments:

  1. speaking of skeletons humans are genius at fun and funny https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/ba3g37/skeleton_crew/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was hilarious! Wonder how long it took to build that.

      Delete
  2. Maybe we build are insecurities around change and Life changes because on a deeper level we are aware of the impermanence of our Life itself. We all came here knowing we were all going to leave at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think intellectually people know they can't live forever, but I don't know that everyone fully embraces that idea!

      Delete
    2. I don't know about embracing it, but I no longer fear it. Come today come 20 years or so, I am okay with my departure.

      Delete