I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Two Roads

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Two of Swords; from the Way of the Horse, Moonlight's Embrace:

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,      
I doubted if I should ever come back.      
I shall be telling this with a sigh      
Somewhere ages and ages hence:      
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-      
I took the one less traveled by,      
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost 

          The limbo of indecisiveness is an uncomfortable place to be. While sometimes we need to take a beat to let a strong surge of emotion pass, often we become rooted in fear because we don't want to make the wrong choice. Every time I read Frost's poem, I want to ask him if the 'difference' he writes about was good or bad. Moonlight's Embrace suggests expanding the mind beyond what we can see. Our minds are biologically geared to look for patterns and to go back through our mental file cabinet to see if any experience in our past remotely resembles the present. Now while this may have been helpful in avoiding dangerous animals in ancient times, it tends to trip us up in the present. The mind has a preference for negative bias, for labeling things as a threat because it slightly bears a likeness to something that wasn't pleasant in the past. It's not concerned with how this creates prejudice toward a situation or person that is without factual evidence. What happens if I expand my mind and heart beyond the tight confines of fear, making space for what I don't know? I'm thinking I might choose 'expansive' or 'spacious' for my 2020 focus word.

4 comments:

  1. Your post today speaks to me and my dilemma and those I work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and how can we possibly know there was a difference and what it was without having a twin going the other way? I've been told several times lately "you don't fart around do you" and its true. Fish or cut bait. Get off the pot". I woke up in the night worrying I'd chosen the wrong kitchen sink faucet yesterday. Cripenitley. Who cares. but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's an important part of discernment. Knowing that many decisions just aren't that important in the big scheme of things.

      Delete