I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Knots on a Rope

From the Urban Tarot, the Empress; from the Principles to Live By tiles, Compassion:

Leave people better than you found them.
― Marvin J. Ashton

          The Empress asks, "What are you nurturing and creating?" I've nurtured rage and revenge, and I've nurtured love and forgiveness. I've created friendships and alliances based on common bonds and cooperation and torn them asunder because of differences and competition. At age sixty, I see the wisdom in Ashton's words; the way I care for others has a residual effect on me. We're all knots tied on the same rope, connected whether we like it or not. Compassion is explained clearly by Karen Armstrong: "Compassion doesn't mean feeling sorry for people. It doesn't mean pity. It means putting yourself in the position of the other, learning about the other." Compassion suggests listening rather than telling and being an encourager rather than a fixer. It helps me see that suffering is universal, so why not be a part of the solution instead of the problem?

2 comments:

  1. It only takes a moment to stop and listen and can make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - judging what's outside won't tell us what is inside.

      Delete