I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Taking a Risk

This week I'll be using the Urban Tarot, a deck and book set created and originally self-published by Robin Scott (now published by U.S. Games). I'll be pairing it with an oracle I created called "Principles to Live By." Today's draws are the Fool and Persistence:

But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
―Leo F. Buscaglia

          Why is it so hard to leap beyond the bounds of what I can see? While part of this fear comes from the unknown, the other part doesn't want to risk the collection of elements I identify myself with - from my reputation to relationships to material possessions. Intellectually, I realize this 'self' is just a mental construct of labels and preferences that make me feel safe. The irony is that it changes over time anyway. And as Eckhart Tolle reminds me, "Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them." Persistence means to be not easily distracted or discouraged; when I fall (or fail), I get back up again. I look for the place I slipped (not where I landed) and learn from it. I listen attentively to those with wisdom and stay open-minded. The goal may change as a result, but then so will I.

The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. ―Elisabeth Kübler-Ross


4 comments:

  1. I am working on detachment. An interesting viewpoint, devoid of emotion. Hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say detachment (the way I define it) is devoid of emotion. We may feel the emotions, but we don't let them trigger us because we come to recognize how unskillful such behavior is.

      Delete
  2. When we first start to learn to walk, we fall-down, a lot. Some genetic instructions to get back up and try again are at play. Also helpful are the smiling and encouraging faces of parents others. Too bad we cannot have a cheering group along with us throughout life.

    ReplyDelete