I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 10, 2023

Tea and Tenderness

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, Temperance; from the Button Oracle, Fawn:

We humans tend to have an aggressive response to intense emotions. The extremes of anger may even seem normal to some of us, but we even do it with fear or sadness. We might hide from outside contact, run up a huge credit card debt, or eat box after box of candy. We desperately want to be rid of this feeling, this edgy energy that invades our body and mind, but the actions we take often hurt more than help. Granny, pouring out some lemon balm tea, tells us to sit for a spell, allowing our energy to naturally dissipate instead of revving it up with our thoughts and body in constant motion. The quote for Fawn comes from Leo Buscaglia: "Gentleness can only be expected from the strong." Instead of making endless strategies and reacting in useless ways, we might ask, "What would tenderness in this situation look like?"

2 comments:

  1. As is often the case, your reading for the day is taken as my personal reading for the day. Always insightful and somehow fitting, as if you're reading especially for me. Thank you.

    In response to Buscaglia, I'll quote Cheryl Forrest: "In my defencelessness lies my strength."

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great quote from Forrest. Lately, when I find my shoulders up to my earlobes because of stress, my mantra becomes: Relax; Release; Resist Nothing. After I let go of my attachments to how things should be and my aversion to how they are, I can practice some self-care.

      Delete