I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Choosing My Neighbor

From the Sheridan-Douglas Tarot, the Pope (Hierophant); from the Pages of Shustah deck, Capricorn:

To be a priest is to serve a God who never stops calling people to do more justice and love more mercy, and simultaneously to serve people who nine times out of ten are just looking for a safe place to rest.
― Barbara Brown Taylor

The creators of this card suggest it represents a "consolation of faith," in other words, a religion with a focus on comfort, encouragement and support. I suppose that depends on whether the leader's agenda is judgment, hellfire and brimstone or healing, helping and compassion. The sea-goat of Capricorn cautions us that the emotional security of beliefs should be balanced by a faith that is grounded in loving action. As Barbara Brown Taylor wrote, "The only clear line I draw these days is this: when my religion tries to come between me and my neighbor, I will choose my neighbor... Jesus never commanded me to love my religion."

No comments:

Post a Comment