I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Financial Education

From the Tarot of Durer, the Ten of Coins; from the Philosopher's Stone, Abundance:

The habit of saving is itself an education; it fosters every virtue, teaches self-denial, cultivates the sense of order, trains to forethought, and so broadens the mind. 
– T.T. Munger

This guy is enjoying his retirement, but he might want to take a peek at his savings rather than just letting the hawk keep an eye on things. The problem with living on a fixed income is that the prices of things keep going up but not always our investments. My bank insisted on going paperless, which means I have to check my monthly statement online. I have not been very diligent lately, and last night I was shocked to see that I forgot to record not one but several purchases in my account register - my balance was much lower than I thought. Thankfully, I ponder before purchasing, so I don't generally spend extravagantly unless it is for health or repairs. But it was a good lesson in keeping a closer eye on things. Abundance might suggest financial prosperity for some, but for me it reflects well-being in mental and emotional ways as well. Which makes me think of the advice of Martha Beck: "Stop fixating on stuff you can touch and start caring about stuff that touches you."

No comments:

Post a Comment