I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dealing with the Dismal

From the Vision Quest Tarot, the Three of Swords:
Against the background of a stormy sky, three broken feathers that will never soar above mountains or ride the thermals again are placed.  I remember walking past one of the ponds near my house one day and seeing a group of several raggedy, large feathers.  My gut twisted a bit, imagining a Canada goose being attacked by a loose dog.  But later, as I was journaling about my day, I realized it was June - the time for Canada geese to be molting.  None of the feathers I had seen were downy, leading me to suspect the feather loss was natural rather than predatory.  This card teaches me that what might appear as a loss or disappointment might not be as devastating and extreme as my thoughts lead me to believe.

From the Bird Cards come the "Sunbird:"
This bird is much like the hummingbird; it eats nectar with its long bill (though it will also eat spiders and insects at times too).  Its bright colors and love of what is sweet reminds me to look for what is beautiful and good in my life, especially on those days when my outlook is dismal and jaded.  I doubt I would have to look very hard or far, if I were to sincerely give it a try...


No comments:

Post a Comment