I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, September 7, 2012

Offerings and Misjudgments

  From the Wheel of Change Tarot, the Seven of Cups:
Genetti offers a different take on the Seven of Cups; instead of a person dreaming about what will make them happy, this image shows offerings to a volcanic god on the Indonesian island of Flores.  It made me reflect on the many ways I try to appease and please the people in my life.  There's nothing wrong with being unselfish or doing good deeds, because those actions do fulfill me.  But every now and then, I need to dish up a bowlful of nourishment for myself too.

     From the Oracle of Dreamtime comes the "Sydney Harbor Bridge:"
This aboriginal legend tells of a giant kangaroo that decided the grass was greener on the other side of the harbor.  Instead of going the long way around, he thought it would be quicker to jump across the wide expanse of water.  He discovered too late that he had misjudged the distance, and his legs became bogged down in the mud.  His bones became the bridge for Sydney Harbor.  This myth reminds me that the "quick" way is not always better, and just because something seems like a good idea doesn't mean it always is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment