I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Slowly Savoring

This week I'll be using the Fairy Lights Tarot created by Lucia Mattioli and published by Lo Scarabeo. This morning's draw is the Hermit:
Under starry skies, an aged man slowly makes his way along a forest path. The booklet that comes with this deck encourages the querent to "retreat into silence and study to deepen your comprehension of the Universe." The rounded back of this elder reminded me of a snail, and indicates the understanding I seek must be achieved at a snail's pace. No weekend workshop will do; I must take my time as I learn and reflect, or else I might miss out on something important. The way he watches the ground closely as he moves along tells me that the wisdom I seek is right under my nose, rather than far off in the heavens. Though an exotic trip might be nice, it's not necessary.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Heart of Faerie, created by Brian and Wendy Froud and published by Abrams. Today's card is the "Green Woman:"
I recognize that look of serene pleasure; it's the same expression on my face when it is chilly and I suddenly feel the warm rays of the sun (or when it's hot and I feel a gentle breeze). The Green Woman is the other side of the coin from the Green Man. While he is the raging river rapids, she is the trickling stream; while he is the mighty oak, she is the fragile wildflower. She balances his "wow" factor with gentle beauty. I think the combined message of the Hermit and Green Woman deals with the personal study I've decided to undertake. Both cards tell me to go slowly and savor the details. The Green Woman reminds me that I don't need every book on the subject - a few good ones should suffice. This exploration is supposed to be enjoyable, not a grueling challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment