I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Mindful Nurturing

This week I'll be using the Gaian Tarot deck and book set created and published by Joanna Powell Colbert.  This morning's draw is the Guardian of Fire (Queen of Wands):
I love being the fire tender at ceremonies; there is just something very soothing about watching the flames flicker and hearing the crackle of the wood burning.  But I have to pay attention too; I must feed the fire so that it doesn't go out, but at the same time, be careful that it doesn't burn out of control.  There must be a supply of wood available, and I must watch out for sparks that might light dry leaves outside the circle.  The Queen of Wands/Fire knows how to guard and nurture creativity in the same way.  She reminds me not to let my spark of inspiration go out, but mind it as carefully as I would a ceremonial fire.  It is an important part of my life that deserves to be maintained and developed.  The bobcat in the background is an animal we have here locally.  Though a small cat in relation to cougars, it can still take down a deer if it needs to eat; it teaches me not to be intimidated by the size of a project.

The other deck I'll be using this week is the Goddess Oracle, created by Amy Sophia Marashinsky and Hrana Janto and published by Element Books.  Today's card is "Mauve:"
Mauve was the intoxicating, warrior goddess of Ireland who represented the land's sovereignty.  In one Irish epic, the story is told of a great battle that ensued over cattle and wealth.  Mauve made decisions that caused much destruction and bloodshed just to prove a point.  She had to take responsibility for the choices she made and the results they produced.  Mauve encourages me to be mindful of my words and actions rather than instinctively reacting to people and situations.  Like the flames in the tarot card above, things can burn out of control quickly.  No one builds a ceremonial fire by just tossing a bunch of logs and sticks in a pile and tossing in a match.  I too need to use awareness and forethought before setting things into motion.


No comments:

Post a Comment