I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Land or Sea, It's Okay with Me

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Five of Cups:
Five spider-like starfish cling to five cups, with two overturning. Starfish are strangely, unique creatures. They have rows of tube feet under each arm that resemble suction cups but actually operate through the function of adhesive chemicals. Have you ever tried to open a clam with just your fingers? Starfish have no problem latching on to bivalves and prying them apart. Usually the Five of Cups makes me think of a sorrowful kind of self-pity, but this particular card reminds me of people I allow in my life who suck the joy out of me. They are who they are, so I might as well not waste my time complaining about them. But I need to warm up my pitching arm and toss them back out to sea.

From the Toltec Oracle comes "Ometeotl:"
Ometeotl can be translated as "sacred duality," so I was curious as to why Sanchez called it a trinity. In the Toltec understanding of the world, there is the tonal (earthly perception) and the nagual (spiritual perception). Rather than seeing one as better than the other, they see both as necessary and use Ometeotl to create a sacred union between the two sides. Like a three-legged stool or a triangular frame in a roof, it integrates the opposites and brings harmony instead of discord. In adding this card's meaning to the one above, it seems I would do well to stop fighting or focusing on who or what appears to be antagonistic to my ideals. Everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs, and as long as they don't try to shove them down my throat, I should be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment