I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, June 27, 2014

Canary in the Coal Mine

From the Jolanda Tarot, the Three of Wands; from the Bird Signs deck, the "Canary:"
The booklet that comes with the Jolanda speaks of practicality and compromise for the Three of Wands. The image makes me think of how much I loved to climb trees as a youngster. Now I would worry about breaking something if I were to try. The animals and older children have made it to the top of the posts, while the younger kids stay on the ground. I have nothing to prove, so instead of letting my pride get in the way, I can let those with the talents that are needed to use them.
The Canary is given the keyword "light," but my immediate connection was to the poor birds coal miners used to forewarn them of toxic gases. It was good for the miners, but not so good for the canaries. The combination of tarot and oracle cards remind me of a Demotivational poster (must be my weird sense of humor):
Do I want to be the canary in the coal mine for others? Not if I can help it.


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha this reminds me of how I see the life of my mother as an example how not to grow old. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are all kinds of role models out there - some we want to imitate and some we definitely don't want to be like! :)

      Delete