I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 2, 2016

Beast of Burden

From the Transformational Tarot, the Seven of Coins; from the Celtic Book of the Dead, the Island of the Hound-footed Horse:
          Ando's collage of the Seven of Coins seems full of regret. An older man heading down the tunnel of death wishes he were in the younger man's place. The young man wishes he had an exciting life traveling the world by boat instead of what he's doing now. Both remind me of a quote from Maya Angelou: "What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain." We've become a nation of complainers rather than changers here in the States. We're always looking for someone or something to pin the blame on rather than taking responsibility. In the CBD card, the voyagers come to an island where they meet a beast that is half dog and half horse - two animals that have been domesticated by man. Yet when they try to disembark, the animal attacks them. The meaning is stated in the book: "It is possible you are putting burdens and responsibilities upon others that you might better carry yourself." I am in charge of my own happiness, and I am solely accountable for what I choose to do with my life. No use trying to make anyone else carry that weight.

6 comments:

  1. Accepting the circumstances I cannot change has freed so much energy which I can use for something more fulfilling than complaining. Of course I am still a work in progress (ask my girls :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much energy we waste by not accepting what can't be changed. Heehee- my family would definitely say I'm a work in progress! :D

      Delete
  2. You are right, most don't want to take responsibility for themselves and then complain when someone does something for them. There have been times I have complained and then I got tired of hearing myself, so I quit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine I would cringe if everything I said during the day was played back to me at night. Like you, I'm making a conscious effort not to be a complainer.

      Delete
  3. By the way those eaglets are getting really close to taking their first flight. They were doing some complaining just now when Dad brought in a small fish. So they are going to have to just get out there and get there own. I have really enjoyed watching them, thanks for sharing Eagle Reality TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! The "babies" are huge now. I had an immature bald eagle fly over me once, and I though it was someone in a hang-glider - the wingspan is impressive!

      Delete