I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 16, 2016

Truth or Agenda?

From the Margarete Petersen Tarot, the Son of Feathers (Knight of Swords); from the Elemental Dice, Fire + Wind (Lightning):
          This young man seated on the ground (behind the feather) reminded me of an integral part of a Tibetan monk's training - debate. It is seen as a way to expand the mind, increase mental sharpness, develop analytical capacity, and gain internal clarity. The debate begins with an invocation to Manjushri, the boddhisattva of wisdom, as a reminder to the participants that the goal is truth, not winning. The challenger sets the topic of debate (whom I see as the dragon in this image), and the defender asserts a thesis. The challenger asks questions to see if he can get the defender to accept something contradictory to his thesis. The challenger's questions don't have to be based in truth; the defender attempts not to be trapped by errors and contradict himself. I can imagine the Knight of Swords/Feathers would relish this kind of intellectual exchange. The Elemental Dice show the side of this Knight when winning becomes more important than truth or compassion: Lightning. Like this electrical discharge that can cause so much damage, the tongue and mind combined must be carefully monitored. I need to be aware of my motives and any "emotional charge" I might carry. Is it truth and justice I'm seeking, or do I just want to push my agenda because I think I'm right?


8 comments:

  1. Many do want to push their agenda with the need to be right. I helps them feel safe in this out of control world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too; being right gives us an illusion of being in control.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of how, when I was a lot younger, my friends and I used to discuss the purpose of life and all kinds of existential questions often until daybreak and accompanied by a lot of red wine. we didn't need to be right because none of us knew the ultimate Truth.It felt like dancing around a bonfire :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the fun and excitement in this kind of discussion - no winners or losers, just thoughts shared.

      Delete
    2. Well said, these conversations have enriched my life. I am grateful to be a part of this community.

      Delete
    3. Love your description, Ellen!

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting painting. The deck reminds me a little of Asha's work and also the oracle deck by Cilla Conway. I recall my husband telling me that often in Eastern debate the winner was declared who could show the place where both sides were in agreement. It was an eye opening moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a copy of Petersen's deck (of the paintings only) that was as big as it is now but without borders. Her cards remind me of the children's "I Spy" books. You look and then look closer to see what's hidden in them. :)

      Delete