I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 23, 2016

Real Sustenance

From the Wild Unknown Tarot, the Son (Knight) of Cups; from the Pictish Oracle, the Rectangular Figure:
          This swan still has a bit of fluff on him, which signifies that he is still a juvenile. Likewise, the Knight of Cups tends to be immature as well, at least in the realm of emotions. He is a romantic who is likely to be found strumming a guitar and singing  "All You Need is Love" under the trees in the park (the guy that the old codgers yell "get a job" at as they pass by). He truly believes that expressing love through song, poetry and the arts is what will heal the world. Unfortunately, the movement and response typical of this Knight is more often mood swing than anything else. In his chapter on Loving-kindness, Alan Morinis states: "It is too easy to think good thoughts and say the right things but then just continue to be stuck in the same old ways. We’re too easy to deceive, especially self-deceive. Action is required." Such action he defines as offering real sustenance to one another.
          The rectangular figure from the Pictish Oracle was thought to symbolize a wooden box (such as a coffer) or a satchel. Either way, it was likely some sort of container for objects considered valuable. It makes me think of a treasure or something held sacred, and I easily see a connection between it and the Knight's cup of color. Morinis clarifies that the sustaining actions of loving-kindness "need to come out of kindness and no other motive." So perhaps that Knight was on the right track after all.

6 comments:

  1. Thats the trick. To come from heartfelt kindness always, not just because it the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is; I have to admit much of what I do that seems kind is motivated more by a sense of obligation.

      Delete
  2. It amazes me how you can pull something out of this deck my mind goes blank when I look at the Wild Unknown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenge at first. I still find myself considering several angles before moving ahead. :)

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of my younger days when I was eager to change the world with my good intentions of love and peace. I wonder what that girl would think about me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live with a young woman like that now, and like you, I see a lot of my former self in her. :)

      Delete