I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Lifting Up

From Waking the Wild Spirit Tarot, the Fortune Teller (Page of Water/Cups); from the MentorSpirit Cards, Involvement:
          In the years I've been using tarot as a tool, I've met several kind of readers. Some will tell you whatever they think will make you fork over cash. Several are adamant about reading the correct way with the correct cards. Others are collectors or scholars whose main interest to appreciate tarot's art or study it's history. But then there is another group who fit well with this Page. They want to open their querents' eyes to options and possibilities that will enable them to heal, change or maneuver through their lives. And though they may be reimbursed for their time, they are motivated by kindness rather than greed. For me, this is tarot's greatest use as it taps into the heart connection between reader and seeker.
          To be involved means being an integral part of a process or situation. It doesn't have to be anything big; take out a tiny spring or cog from a watch, and it no longer runs. The media has convinced us to "go big or go home," but in real life it's the small things that matter. Like the intention of this Page, it is often the seemingly insignificant things we do or say that encourages another person. Both these cards remind me of a quote I got in my inbox this morning:
What if we administer the medicine of the dhamma [dharma] to one another, each lifting the other up and showing compassion for one another’s suffering? Even those we do not particularly like or understand; even those who are “of no use” to us; even, dare I say, with our own hand?
—Andrew Olendzki

2 comments:

  1. Today I received the Chrysalis Tarot companion book which promotes the paradigm of a living conscious universe where, we are all interconnected and whatever we do or however we feel is influencing everyone and everything. Perhaps even you drawing these cards and me reading about it in this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even me getting that "Daily Dharma" quote in an email this morning!

      Delete