I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Need Saving?

From the Wild Unknown Tarot, the Hierophant; from the Pictish Oracle, Wolf:
          Crows are great watch dogs; any human or animal that crosses into their territory will start a group cawing loudly. But used with the Hierophant, I am reminded of the soap box preachers that stand on the street corners yelling that they have the key to life. What they often offer is not hope but fear, not love but hatred. Congregate enough of their followers together, and they can make it seem as if the world is going to end unless we follow their directives. And that kind of fear can be both contagious and dangerous. Which leads to Wolf, an animal seen by the Picts as a marauder who attacked and killed livestock and night travelers. They had no romanticized view of a pack and saw them realistically as a threat. Both these draws remind me of how easy it is to take advantage of people who are in a vulnerable place (especially emotionally), and how easily and willingly we lay our heads in the jaws of those who claim to be our savior.

6 comments:

  1. Very nicely said. Fear is the hammer that is used to keep us in place. I hope all is well in your world and with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear is such a powerful tool, and so a destructive one in the hands of certain people.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, resting in the arms of a congregation has always been very tempting to me. luckily I know I am too much a solitary woman to become trapped in their spiderweb :)
    Great post Bev!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I left the church, that was the one thing my mom worried about: "Who will you lean on in hard times? Who will help you?" And while a congregation might be great for that, I couldn't pretend to believe something I didn't!

      Delete
  3. I have always loved this depiction of the The Hierophant. This is quite the pair of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krans has made some great choices with the wildlife in her deck!

      Delete