I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 10, 2012

Beauty and Simplicity

On this quiet Friday morning, I drew the Knight of Cups from the Millennium 2000 Tarot:

"I think people who truly can live a life in music are telling the world, 'You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly." ~ George Harrison
I think of this knight as that part of us that seeks what will fulfill us - our personal holy grail.  He is a lover of beauty, and attempts to bring it to others through the arts - whether music like the Beatles above, or some other form.  What a sad and boring place our society would be without musicians, painters, poets, or dancers.  It would be as austere as the dry land the knight has ridden through, in order to dip his cup in the river.  There are other bearers of the grail who might not recognize themselves as such - gardeners, quilters, cooks, card writers, homemakers - who inspire and comfort in a myriad of ways.  They freely offer the best part of themselves, knowing that true contentment and wholeness only comes when we share our cup with others.

     The card drawn from the Post Psychedelic Cyberpunk today is "Symbol:"
A symbol is a simple sign or figure used to represent a more complex idea.  Some symbols are internationally recognized, such as a red circle with a slash through it or a skull and crossbones.  Basically, they are a lesson in being concise and easy to understand.  I think when it comes to communicating with others, I need to heed this approach - say what needs to be said without adding useless noise to the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment