I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 3, 2012

Sword vs. Pen

  From the Tarot of Durer this morning comes the King of Swords:
Here is a mature king who very much believes in truth and justice, but who prefers to listen and make his decisions calmly rather than rashly.  He is definitely someone I need to model right now, as I am one angry woman.  There is a Baptist church in my neighborhood that seems intent on paving over every piece of earth for miles around and building huge concrete monstrosities.  They've recently bought a lot next to a holding pond near my house, an area that boasts many majestic, old trees and is home to various wildlife - great blue herons, Canadian geese, and mallard ducks to name a few.  Yesterday evening, I noticed they had tagged many of these trees to be cut down!  Now if a tree is diseased, I don't have a problem with removing it.  But these trees are healthy and providing food and shelter to many animals, as well as adding beauty to the landscape.  My first reaction was to tear off the tags, but then I thought the idiots would probably just remove all the trees.  Then I thought about calling the church and asking them nicely to reconsider.  But I've dealt with these people before, and they are more interested in recognition and making a name for themselves than environmental impact.  Plus, I'm sure I would end up talking to a poor secretary who would have no idea what I was talking about, and instead would concentrate on getting me to church next Sunday.  What to do?  I finally shot off a note this morning to the local newspaper's "squawkbox" about what was going on.  I hope in this case the pen is mightier than the sword...

    The draw from the Philosopher's Stone deck this morning is "Breakthrough:
"
I feel this stone person's frustration; he can't see past the big boulder in his way.  But suddenly, a crack appears in the rock, and a sliver of daylight emerges between the pieces.  I guess my choice in writing the newspaper instead of resorting to eco-terrorism is my breakthrough today.  I can't help but feel it will make little impact.  However, I did notice the holding pond's water level had dropped significantly yesterday, which makes me think the lime sink might be developing a large crack underneath (which has happened to the pond before).  Would it be wrong to pray that the earth would crack open and swallow the Baptist church whole (sans people)?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment