I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Battles and Banes

This week I'll be using the Druidcraft Tarot created by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm and illustrated by Will Worthington.  Today's card is the Nine of Wands:
A fire from a battle burns on the horizon, and while it looks like this warrior didn't come out unscathed, he's still standing.  The wands in the ground are a tribute to the other battles he's fought and won.  His unyielding look of determination and his watchfulness let me know nothing will get past him.  He will persevere, because he's willing to give it all he's got.  There are times when I feel like this fellow, having to stand up for what I believe in, but in other situations, it is a fight within me.  These are where changes in my life are going on now, though my ego would prefer to stick within its comfort zone and maintain the status quo.  Too bad I'm going to have to disappoint it...

     The oracle deck I'll be using this week is a combination of two decks, the Druid Animal and the Druid Plant.  They are also created by the Carr-Gomms and illustrated by Worthington.  Today's card is "The Banes:"
Against the backdrop of a full moon are (from left to right) henbane, wolfsbane/monkshood, and hemlock.  The meaning of bane is something that causes great distress - in this case these herbs are all extremely toxic.  It's easy to look at plants or people who are troublemakers as something I'd like to rid myself of, but they may have a purpose.  The Carr-Gomms emphasize that the difficulties they cause may be the trigger or tipping point for me to turn in a new and unexpected direction.  Sometimes a catalyst can come in strange packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment