I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Knowing One From the Other

From the Mythic Tarot, the Six of Pentacles:
In this illustration, Daedalus, an expert craftsman and architect from Athens, pledges his service to King Minos of Crete and asks for his patronage.  Most kings would be honored with such a show of homage, but Minos seems to be thinking things through before handing over his gold coins.  Daedalus, before fleeing to Crete, had murdered his nephew (and apprentice) because he thought the young man was going to surpass him in skill.  Would he eventually betray the king as well?  The Six of Pentacles involves sharing resources so that balance is restored, but it also cautions one to use balanced judgment in making such decisions.  A wise verdict realizes that actions speak louder than words...

     From the Symbolon Deck comes "Moira:"
The Ancient Greek word moira meant "portion" or "share," and personified the deity who assigned every man and woman their fate.  The Greeks would eventually divide her duties into three parts and assign them to the Three Fates.  Taylor Dayne sang a song called "You Can't Fight Fate," and part of the lyrics are:
You can run, but you can't run away
No matter what you do, no matter what you say
When it's meant to be, it's gonna be that way.
Now I believe there are things beyond my control that I must accept and deal with the best I can, but I also believe I'm responsible for the choices I make.  May I have, as Reinhold Niebuhr so eloquently put it, the "courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other."

No comments:

Post a Comment