I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Vengeance is Mine?

This week I'll be using the Mythic Tarot, created by Tricia Newell with a companion book by Juliet Sharman-Burke and Liz Greene.  Today's card is the Ace of Cups:
In this card Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, is depicted as rising from the sea foam.  Most people see this card as a positive one, representing an overflowing cup of compassion.  But like Aphrodite, this ace is the raw power of love, and can be channeled into something beautiful or something terrifying.  There is a common phrase that goes, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned," but that is nothing compared to the wrath one will feel when you hurt someone that woman loves.  This card reminds me that I must be aware of overwhelming emotions that stem from the affection I have for others and direct them in productive rather than destructive ways.

     The oracle I'll be using this week is the Symbolon Deck created by Peter Orban, Ingrid Zinnel, and Thea Weller.  Today's card is "The Furies:"
It's quite a coincidence that I drew this card this morning along with the Ace of Cups.  In Greek mythology, when the Titan Cronus castrated his father Uranus and threw his genitalia into the sea, the Furies were born from the drops and blood and Aphrodite from the sea foam.  The Furies were the avenging goddesses, described as having serpents twined about their waists and eyes that dripped with blood.  Though their job was to torment evil-doers, they were renowned for being fair.  Their lesson for me today is that I should not try to take retribution into my own hands, but instead allow justice to pursue its natural course.

No comments:

Post a Comment