I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Deceptive Appearances

From the Shadowscapes Tarot, the Seven of Swords:

“Rationalization is a process of not perceiving reality, but of attempting to make reality fit one’s emotions.” ~ Ayn Rand
I can almost see the wheels turning in this man-bird's mind, as he looks over the sword he thinks he has successfully stolen.  I'm sure his reasoning might be something like: "They owe it to me. They have plenty and I have none, so why shouldn't I have one too?"  Like the crows he resembles, he obviously thinks he has the right to take what is bright and shiny if no one's the wiser.  Rand's quote fits this card perfectly.  When I ignore what is logical and true, and gloss over it with emotionalism, I can be sure I have lost my moral compass.

     From the set of cedar runes comes "Isa:"

        Ice is very cold and immeasurably slippery;
it glistens as clear as glass and most like to gems;
it is a floor wrought by the frost, fair to look upon.

Anglo-Saxon Rune poem
Isa, or ice, is beautiful to look at, but quite dangerous to walk or travel on.  As the saying goes, "all that glitters isn't gold;" what appears outwardly to be a good thing may have hidden risks and hazards.  Like the flow of water that comes to a halt when frozen, sometimes the safest action is to remain patient and still.

No comments:

Post a Comment