I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 24, 2012

Rough Waves Ahead

From the Granny Jones Tarot, the Three of Swords:
 Drawing this card today wasn't a big surprise.  My 16 year old dog, Popcorn, is getting frailer by each day.  We got this part Jack Russell/part shadow in the night from the Humane Society.  He had so much energy (thus his name); thank goodness for a large backyard!  He's had a heart problem for the past several years, but now as he's aged he's developed other problems that require lots of medication.  He no longer chases balls or squirrels (once a favorite activity), but he has always looked forward to his daily walks - until yesterday.  I could tell the walk was more of an effort than a pleasure; the ground we might normally have covered in 5 minutes took half an hour.  I know that he will leave us soon, but I don't want him to suffer.  If necessary, we will involve the vet to make his passing as painless as possible, though my hope is that he will go to sleep without us having to make that trip.

From the Button Oracle the "Anchor:"
"Do exactly what you would do if you felt most secure." ~ Meister Eckhart
    An anchor typically has broad, hook-like arms that bury themselves in the bottom to provide a firm hold.  The anchor prevents a ship from drifting away due to the water currents or tide and offers protection from weather conditions.  This button is a reminder for me to take out the spiritual tools I have and use them as the emotional stress of the holiday and caring for Popcorn rock my boat.



4 comments:

  1. Holding you in the pocket of my heart. My little Pemmie is in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your dog :[ I'm sure you'll make his last days lovely ones though - sounds like you gave him a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind thoughts. He's suddenly developed a taste for peanut butter (on crackers and vanilla wafers) and raw peanuts, so I'm letting him eat all he wants. Not a great diet for a dog (though he is getting wet and dry dog food too), but I figure at this stage he should get to eat whatever tastes good to him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((HUGS)))) My heart goes out to you, soulsis. It is so hard to watch our beloved pets age. Saying goodbye is always too soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete