I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Truth Teller

From the Tarot of the Crone, the Grandmother of Swords:
 Through my stories,
the little ones learn how the world is woven.
Gone is the ice-cold, stern Queen of Swords so common in RWS type decks; here she has become a grandmother whose truth-telling comes in the form of stories.  I love the wisdom that can be found in tales told, whether these stories are actual or fictional.  This kind of knowledge sticks in my head so much better than a list of "dos and don'ts."  Like fables and fairy-tales, they often show the consequences (both good and bad) of choices made.  At book club last week, a woman told a story to show how easily tradition can become translated into truth:
A newly married husband watched his wife cook a pot roast.  After seasoning the meat, she carefully cut off an inch on both ends, then put it in the oven to cook.  He asked his wife why she cut off these pieces, and she said her mother taught her how to cook a roast properly, and this was how she did it.  Months later, the man's mother-in-law came to celebrate his birthday, and he watched her cook a roast and noticed she also cut off the ends before cooking it.  When asked why, she replied her mother had taught her the correct way to cook a roast.  Later at a holiday celebration held at the house of his wife's grandmother, he watched as she seasoned the roast and stuck it in the oven without cutting off the ends.  He asked, "Aren't you forgetting to trim the ends?"  She answered, "Oh, I haven't had to do that since I got a larger roasting pan."

From the Transforming Dragons deck comes the dragon "Pudrus:"
Trap: Melancholy and Hypochondria
Treasure: Constructive Thought and Action
Just yesterday I was feeling out of sorts, so instead of going to book club, I decided to isolate instead.  Why did I make such a ridiculous choice, when I know that getting out with others would probably make me feel better?  I hate to admit it, but sometimes I can enjoy wallowing in the "woe is me" mud.  Leave it to the cards to call me out on it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! :) Makes me wonder how many "truths" people hold sacred started out as just what worked at the time.

      Delete